It's not quite a quiver full, but it's a start!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day 12: Prayers for Peace

"In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words."
Romans 8:26

Day 12: Peace

"And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7


Like joy, true peace is something that can only be found in Christ. "If peace is the absence of busyness, then many of us may never find it. Peace is not the absence of to-do lists, appointments, and responsibility. It isn't the absence of a cell phone signal and Internet connectivity. Instead it is the presence of our Lord. Peace is the deliberate adjustment of our lives to the will of God. When we are aligned to His purpose, then and only then will we experience true peace that passes all understanding. The origin of peace is God Himself, and without Him at the center of our lives we will never experience true peace." Let us pray that our sons will know true peace.

Growing up I had one favorite hymn, "It is well with my soul." I'm not sure if it was my favorite before or if it became my favorite after, but I still remember the day my dad shared with me the story behind the hymn. In fact, he and I still talk about this hymn fairly often.

"When Peace like a river attendeth my way.
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot though hast taught me to say,
'It is well, it is well with my soul,'

It is well, with my soul.
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

It is well, with my soul.
It is well, it is well with my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

It is well, with my soul.
It is well, it is well with my soul.

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

It is well, with my soul.
It is well, it is well with my soul.

But, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!
Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!

It is well, with my soul.
It is well, it is well with my soul.

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul."

In October of 1871, Horatio Spafford was financially ruined in the great Chicago Fire. Shortly after this tragedy, Spafford received a telegram from his wife which stated, "Saved alone," and he learned that all four of his daughters had died in a collision with another ship as they were crossing the Atlantic. Several weeks later, as his own ship passed by the spot his daughters had died, this song was inspired. Ironically, the composer who put Spafford's words to music died in a tragic train wreck shortly after writing this music. I cannot help but notice a parallel between the tragedy surrounding this song and the life of Job in the Scriptures. Yet, out of such tragedy came such greatness. I pray that this sense of peace, that this influence, can come from my life and the lives of my sons.




Lord, we pray that our sons will come to know your perfect peace. We pray that they will be able to rest in the knowledge of their salvation and the truth that victory has already come. Lord, we praise you that the battle has already been fought, that it has already been won, that all we have to do is join You in this victory. Lord, let no circumstance tear them away from this truth, let no trial separate them from you, let no heartbreak distract them from the life that they have in you. Grant them peace in all situations, wrap your arms of protection and strength around them when troubles come, and lead them back to you. Hide them in You, Father, so that the perfect peace that comes from you cannot be overshadowed by the things of this world...

AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and I hope you found encouragement and joy from my posts. I would love to hear what you have to say! It is my responsibility to make sure all of the content is uplifting, respectful, and true. Any comments that are viewed as personal attacks, false accusations, and any use of profanity will not be tolerated. Thank you, and please leave a comment that I will be able to post so others can be encouraged through your words as well!