It's not quite a quiver full, but it's a start!

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 13: Prayers for Patience

"I cried out to him with my mouth; his praise was on my tongue." Psalm 66:17




Day 13: Patience

"[We pray] that you may be invigorated and strengthened with all power according to the might of His glory, [to exercise] every kind of endurance and patience (perseverance and forbearance) with joy." Colossians 1:11

Such perfect timing since I am literally walking in the door from my Bible Study tonight where we just talked about the fruit of patience. My heart is so full on the subject right now I could probably write an entire book, but instead I'll try to focus on my prayers for my sons. Based on hope when it comes to our circumstances and mercy when it comes to dealing with others, patience is the ability to endure trials without surrendering to them and the ability to restrain from actions when it comes to others. Let us pray that our sons will have patience in all circumstances and with all people. Let us pray that they will have a life full of forgiveness, free of judgement, and surrounded in mercy.

There is a Dutch Proverb that I never understood until I came to understand the definition of true patience. "A handful of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains." How often do we act out of frustration, anger, or simply just out of impulse when we should have had the patience to just wait? How often are we quick to speak, yet slow to become angry? How often do we question God's timing, impatiently calling on Him to work, rather than being patient in the fact that His timing is perfect? All it takes is a little patience to overcome our mouths of fire, all it takes is a little patience for God to do His perfect work, all it takes is a little patience for us to overcome all things. "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into diverse temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. " James 1:2-4. Praise God that our patience is not in vain. However, I guess it's only fitting that the thing that makes us perfect and complete is one of the hardest to practice.





Lord, we have heard that if we want to be tested we have to only pray for patience, but, Lord, we know the tests are coming anyway. We pray that our sons will have patience in all things. Lord, we pray they will come to the knowledge of You, of the hope that comes from their salvation, and that they will be a living example of mercy. May we impart onto others the patience that you impart onto us. Lord, we pray for our patience as we pray for our sons so that we may be an example to them and not a hindrance. We pray that in all circumstances we will come even closer to becoming perfect and complete lacking in nothing...


AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and I hope you found encouragement and joy from my posts. I would love to hear what you have to say! It is my responsibility to make sure all of the content is uplifting, respectful, and true. Any comments that are viewed as personal attacks, false accusations, and any use of profanity will not be tolerated. Thank you, and please leave a comment that I will be able to post so others can be encouraged through your words as well!